[Panel-devel] applets and plasmoids

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 24 23:42:59 CEST 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007, Wade Olson wrote:
> The only point of clarification would be if in practice one plasmoid
> can/should contain multiple applets?  I'm guessing a 1-to-1
> relationship.

i've contemplated this as well .. it's tempting to (over-)engineer it so that
you can ship a whole bunch of applets in a single plasmoid. and i can even
dream up use cases for it, though i keep coming back to the thought that it
would be easier to, if needed, define a container package format.

we're probably going to need this anyways for sharing layouts between
computers / people .. e.g. i want to be able to IM my desktop layout to a
friend, or email a layout to the office from home .. this opens the
possibility of a layout containing a plasmoid that the recipient system
doesn't have installed.

as ruphy pointed out on irc, the easiest thing to do would be to simply
package the plasmoids with the layout. which implies a container format of
some sort. which may in turn also be a plasmagik package, but one that
contains multiple plasmoids + a layout config.