[Panel-devel] Zooming

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Tue Jul 24 08:39:32 CEST 2007

Hello!

On Dienstag, 24. Juli 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > No matter whether this is zooming or resizing, this is what I meant and I
> > think that using the mousewheel on plasmoids should change the levels and
>
> yes, when an applet is resized they can certainly change what they show. it
> needs to be in each and every applet individually, however, (for obvious
> reasons =) and i'm sure some applets will want to use the wheel for
> something else entirely (e.g. an album collection may want to spin through
> the albums)

Sure, lists etc will, but in the smallest state there will be no list in most
and the wheel would always work on the frame. So even if you have a
volume-icon, the mousewheel on the icon would de/increase the volume, using
the mouse-wheel on its frame would resize it. As it should be in all views,
clicking on the object itself, i.e. the icon should open it, clicking on its
frame should select it. Same for mouse-wheel, there should be a difference
using it on the object itself and using it on the space around it.

> > With this the k3b/amarok etc. -systray-icon could become really useful
> > because the user can easily place them wherever one needs them and at
> > whatever size one needs them.
>
> systray icons, unfortunately do not work that way and can not be made to
> work that way. we need an entirely different mechanism to make this happen.

Why could they not? This would merge systray, taskbar and desktop and I
thought the thought behind plasmoids would be to be able to place them
wherever the user likes and not have separate things for kicker/desktop etc.

Why could kmail's systray-icon not be a single plasmoid that can be resized
from a simple icon (current systray) to a  former kicker-applet and finally
to a former superkaramba mail-notification? Why would I as a user want to
have a systray icon for it, if I have a plasmoid for it on the desktop or
some panel already and why would I have to disable the systray in kmail just
to add the same functionality (showing new email) via plasma?

Sven