[Panel-devel] KCategorizedItemsView for Plasma Applet Browser in SVN

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 22 06:24:38 CEST 2007

On Saturday 21 July 2007, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> It is a general purpose displaying component with categories a on the left
> side, search bar and filters on the top. (the thing we've discussed earlier
> on this list)

i've added it to the build so if you build in playground/base/plasma you'll
get a plasmaappletbrowser binary installed as well.

> The state of the widget is as follows:
> * The UI layout is finished

i think there is still room to grow here. in particular i'm still not
convinced that the categories list down the left side is a good idea. it
takes up a heck of a lot of space and creates a scan pattern of
up->down::left->right::up->down (which is to say, first one scans up to down
on the category list, the left to right from the categories to the list, then
up to down on the applet list). that's a lot of visual scanning.

categories inside the list with the list of them in the filters might be a
decent compromise on space vs utility. it also gives us a nice up->down scan
pattern.

> * Abstract classes for models/items defined
> * All filtering capabilities working (categories, search and special
> filters)

i changed this a bit to use QVariant a bit more thoroughly and to use a
QPair<QString, QVariant> instead of a QStringList. makes the code a lot more
readable in places and allows for native type comparisons, e.g. bools to
bools and strings to strings.

> What needs to be done:
> * The Delegate for the items. The curent implementation of the delegate

perhaps we can re-use the delegate from the kicker add applet dialog.

> NOW THE IMPORTANT PART:
> Since I have no time to continue working on this at the moment (exams,
> bloody exams), I have submitted the code to the SVN.
> (trunk/playground/base/plasma/appletbrowser/)
>
> So are there any wolonteers for the only TODO item that needs to be
> finished before it can be used in Plasma?

i've cleaned up some of the code in a couple of places and indented it to
follow our coding style (also added a quit action so you can just hit ctrl-q;
man i hate mice ;)... so it's a bit closer.. but yes, still needs someone to
take it on and show it some more love =)