[Panel-devel] corona

Johannes Neugschwentner neugschwentner at comteam.at
Thu Jul 12 16:45:47 CEST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2007 15:15:02 schrieben Sie:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Johannes Neugschwentner wrote:
> > anyway, this is what it's gonna be about:
> > * a paint-selection
>
> could you explain a bit more about this? i'm not sure what you mean
> precisely

pretty much the lasso tool of every photo software - like gimp's lasso
selection tool. so you could select spread file items freely ... and it
wouldn't be so much of a need to sort files on the desktop like the icons on
a typical desktop in the typical "raster-manner" but rather like loose
files/sheets on a real desk

> > * grouping my plasmoids objects --- which is icon representations of
> > files seeked out via a strigi-plasmoid (meta-info) ...
>
> is this a sort of "live search" where there is a grouping of icons based on
> a a set of search terms?

similar and yes
it is first of all a desktop search .. that is a plasmoid that searches the
file system for files ... via file names and various metadata
i don't know exactly how the found files should be displayed .... maybe a
list? i don't know... please make suggestions :)
i think maybe a staple of items as a search result?

> > * autosaving these plasmoid icons and it's groupings on every change
>
> what would be involved in autosaving, and what constitutes "every change"?
>
> > * mouse behaviour control .... so as to change the mouse in to a zoom/pan
> > tool ...

autosaving:
If I would actually use this User Centered Desktop as it's thought to be -
maybe best description would be a complemental addition for a "work folder"
(eg: /home/user/work/*) and all subfolders -
i would want my files to be displayed on the desktop .. grouped after my
tasks .. and reliably being there after every restart or crash or whatever ..
without any strange missing links or behaviour like saving every step or so
like it was what it is (a program) ... i would it want to behave like
konqueror & co... if you move something it is like that
this is the feeling the user should have so every step should automatically be
saved..
if i create a file i will also store it somewhere in the filesystem, but it
would absolutely be on the desktop in the place i saved it.

therefore i will introduce a function that automatically saves the files, it's
groupings, positions etc. placed on the desktop.

> i'd really like to see only 3 levels of zoom, based on the idea of
> groupings of objects: 100%, which shows a single grouping taking up 100% of
> a given screen; "50%" which shows various groups and allows panning, items
> are perhaps reduced to representative icons and can be dragged between
> groups; "overview" where each grouping it reduced to an iconic
> representation. clicking on a group in overview should zoom in on it to
> 100%.
>
> this should keep zoom/pan simple interaction-wise as well as useful. what
> do you think?

hmm .. maybe we could introduce a zooming to some selection rectangle?
i like the idea of zooming out to give an overview
i also like the idea of zooming to a specific group of objects
but i also like the idea of free zooming/panning

maybe i could introduce a zooming-mode selection?? surely the useful modes as
zooming to groups would be standard, and this stepless zooming could be
advanced/non standard.
??

However - i found i wouldn't really need to touch the corona-file a lot
i would rather pass an action ... like middle mouse button event to the
plasmoid control group .. hmm ... should be pretty easy to be reached ...
i don't wanna hike through menus just to reach to some mouse behaviour
adaption, to finally adapt the zooming tool and after 10 clicks being able to
zoom.
i want a graphic to appear next to my cursor on middle mouse click. scrolling
will scroll through the behaviours: click=zoom; click=search; click=new file
right mouse click will open some behaviour-specific context menus ...
left mouse will do ... middle mouse will turn this behaviour off again.

Suggestions?

--
Johannes Neugschwentner
Südhangstraße 28