[Panel-devel] corona

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 12 17:22:51 CEST 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007, Johannes Neugschwentner wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2007 15:15:02 schrieben Sie:
> > On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Johannes Neugschwentner wrote:
> > > anyway, this is what it's gonna be about:
> > > * a paint-selection
> >
> > could you explain a bit more about this? i'm not sure what you mean
> > precisely
>
> pretty much the lasso tool of every photo software - like gimp's lasso

got it now; that could be very cool indeed =)

> > is this a sort of "live search" where there is a grouping of icons based
> > on a a set of search terms?
>
> similar and yes
> it is first of all a desktop search .. that is a plasmoid that searches the
> file system for files ... via file names and various metadata
> i don't know exactly how the found files should be displayed .... maybe a
> list? i don't know... please make suggestions :)

i'd start with a list to get it going, but an icon mode would probably be nice
as well... there is the nice icon widget already in libplasma that would make
this a bit easier.

> > what would be involved in autosaving, and what constitutes "every
> > change"?
> >
> > > * mouse behaviour control .... so as to change the mouse in to a
> > > zoom/pan tool ...
>

> i would want my files to be displayed on the desktop .. grouped after my
> tasks .. and reliably being there after every restart or crash or whatever

forget about trying to save for crashes; they shouldn't happen and there's not
much one can do to save geometry information properly against crashes without
writing to disk way too often.

> therefore i will introduce a function that automatically saves the files,
> it's groupings, positions etc. placed on the desktop.

this is indeed one of the open TODOs for 4.0. and probably the most vital
feature of all the ones you've covered so far, to be honest =)

> > this should keep zoom/pan simple interaction-wise as well as useful. what
> > do you think?
>
> hmm .. maybe we could introduce a zooming to some selection rectangle?

what is the use case for this?
what would it gain the user?

> maybe i could introduce a zooming-mode selection??

this is precisely why i want to avoid free zoom, it causes additional UI and
creates more code.

> i want a graphic to appear next to my cursor on middle mouse click.
> scrolling will scroll through the behaviours: click=zoom; click=search;
> click=new file right mouse click will open some behaviour-specific context
> menus ... left mouse will do ... middle mouse will turn this behaviour off
> again.

sounds a lot like magic behaviour (middle clicking causing a mode change) with
lots of clicking/scrolling involved...