[Panel-devel] to-do list

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 20 16:30:26 CET 2007

On Thursday 20 December 2007, Chani wrote:
> the welcome plasmoid: what exactly is it supposed to do, anyways? it sure

off quick access to a few starting points including: documentation, the online
community, kde tips, configuration, etc.. each button should show a little
help text when clicked along with some links/buttons that the user can click
on to go somewhere.

it also needs to eventually have an area on it that allows one to enter or
create an openid account.

http://bddf.ca/~aseigo/welcometokde4.png

> apparently the krunner ui needs attention, but I don't know anything about
> that; maybe someone else can explain.

the most pressing issues are that the icon list needs to be turned into a
horizontal scrolling procession; the options area needs to be cleaned up (it
doesn't resize the window properly afterwards, it needs a nice background)

> somehow I had the impression that we already had a plasmoid that would show
> a folder's contents.

not yet =)

> zooming out isn't much use to me when I have only one desktop containment.
> it'd be nice to be able to add them and switch between them.

yes, some un-zoomed UI (easy to do with QGV: just set it to ignore
transformations) needs to appear when zoomed out to provide access to such
things.

> the corona still needs a way to change the default set of applets (the
> stuff loaded when there is no .kde config) without changing the code.

this should be an easy one. we already support loading applets from a random
config file with loadApplets. what needs to be done, then is:

provide a way to define a default config to be read in at start up. this could
be as easy as looking for a particularly named file, e.g.
plasma-appletsrc-defaults or as "tricksy" (though not much more so) as having
this kept in a global config file (e.g. [General] group, key
DefaultAppletConfig) ...

this needs to be done in the application and not libplasma as this will be
specific to the application. add a Corona::setConfigFile would also be handy,
as loadApplets sets the config file name, which wouldn't be desirable in this
case.

> speaking of default applets, should the pager be on the panel by default
> now?

probably

> ...I'm going to stop now before this becomes an endless personal wishlist.
> please, help me turn this into a nice practical list of things that need
> attention. I'm not so good at setting priorities. :)

we have the Tasks page on the wiki. it could use some tending as well as
having these items added to it and prioritized.