[Panel-devel] to-do list

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 08:53:31 CET 2007

it appears that some parts of plasma are not getting needed attention, and
since 4.0 is looming, I thought it'd be nice to round up these forgotten
things and discuss which ones are worth completing for 4.0, and generally try
to draw attention to what might be forgotten code.

we all know that the panel needs more features and the desktop doesn't do the
traditional file-icon stuff (I'm really uncomfortable about the assumption
that it *should* do those instead of something else providing them). here's a
few other things that either seem neglected or are just things I've been
thinking about doing.

the welcome plasmoid: what exactly is it supposed to do, anyways? it sure as
hell doesn't do much right now. someone should either fix it up or put it out
of its misery. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Welcome

apparently the krunner ui needs attention, but I don't know anything about
that; maybe someone else can explain.

there's that taskmanager cleanup that aaron just mentioned in another post.

we have many clocks, and much duplicate code because of that. I'd like to find
a way that they can at least share their common config ui bits (timezone
selection, etc) so that it's easier to maintain and we don't end up with a
huge inconsistency in features. I'd also like a graphical timezone selector,
but that's something for 4.1 (and actually may be useful outside of
plasma...)

somehow I had the impression that we already had a plasmoid that would show a
folder's contents. I guess I thought the file watcher could do that, but it
can't, and seems kinda buggy too. it might be nice to have such an applet
instead of putting too much file stuff in the desktop containment.

zooming out isn't much use to me when I have only one desktop containment.
it'd be nice to be able to add them and switch between them.

twitter is storing its password in plasmarc, not kwallet. holy insecurity,
batman!

the corona still needs a way to change the default set of applets (the stuff
loaded when there is no .kde config) without changing the code.

speaking of default applets, should the pager be on the panel by default now?
it night reduce the number of poor lost souls wondering where virtual
desktops went :)

...I'm going to stop now before this becomes an endless personal wishlist.
please, help me turn this into a nice practical list of things that need
attention. I'm not so good at setting priorities. :)

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com