[Panel-devel] Applet Manager Dialog

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 7 23:21:17 CET 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007, Chani wrote:
> On October 19, 2007 12:49:11 you wrote:
> > > - i wonder if this should be a separate dialog or if it should actually
> > > go into the applet dialog itself? so that the user can see feedback
> > > there on applets that are running; it could then be another category to
> > > filter on as well.
> >
> > I was wondering the same thing myself. if it could be brought into the
> > applet dialog in a nice, usable way I think that would be best... anyone
> > got thoughts on how the UI should behave?
>
> I've begun work on doing this. attached is a patch of what I've got so far:

cool =)

> -make 'remove' actually remove every instance of that applet when clicked
>
> I've got a few questions about how to continue with this code.

PlasmaAppletItem *p = (PlasmaAppletItem *)i; //why doesn't qobject_cast work?

because QStandardItem isn't a qobject =)

> -how do I make the ui addition not horrifically ugly?

you mean visually? providing a link to a screenshot is probably the
easiest/best way to go.

> -what's the best way of making the 'remove' text clickable?

if you use a qlabel, there's the linkActivated signal. otherwise a pushbutton
could work, though probably harder to integrate into the view. alternately
you can simply store in each item the location of the label and do a hit test
in mousePress and mouseRelease event handlers.

> -what's the best way to keep updated on which applets are running?

the Containment::appletAdded signal. applets themselves emit a signal on
destruction (being QObjects)