[Panel-devel] Pidgin crashing in kde4

Jason Stubbs jasonbstubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 04:09:57 CET 2007

On Wednesday 05 December 2007 11:41:26 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 04.12.07 18:13:47, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > after reading Aaron's latest post
> > > (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2007/12/argb-visuals.html)
> > > I'm wondering wether the fact that pidgin crashes here as soon as it
> > > tries to put its icon into the systray has that argb-visual usage as
> > > reason?
> >
> > yes, that is why.
>
> > > If so, is there any way to fix/workaround that,
> >
> > we either disable argb visuals in plasma or else the gtk people fix their
> > code.
>
> The latter is not going to happen that fast. Is disabling those argb
> visuals a real option (at least for 4.0)? I mean "real" as in, it
> doesn't make the systray look or behave badly.

The system tray actually behaves better with ARGB visuals disabled due to
other bugs in Qt. It's entirely possible that the workaround in place is what
is "causing" GTK apps to crash. ;)

Losing ARGB visuals will mean that the panel's transparency disappears and
other things like that. Personally, I'm with Aaron in that I think they
keeping them is the better choice. If it's out in the wild for 4.0, most
everything should (hopefully) be fixed by the time 4.1 comes around.

If plasma goes without ARGB visuals for 4.0, I think the best case is that
toolkits attempt to fix things but a other issues pop up after ARGB visuals
are reenabled in 4.1. Not putting down the toolkits, here; it's just that
unhandled corner-cases are invariably found after putting code into the wild.

--
Jason Stubbs