[Panel-devel] Pidgin crashing in kde4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 5 04:17:06 CET 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 December 2007 11:41:26 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 04.12.07 18:13:47, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > we either disable argb visuals in plasma or else the gtk people fix
> > > their code.
> >
> > The latter is not going to happen that fast. Is disabling those argb
> > visuals a real option (at least for 4.0)? I mean "real" as in, it
> > doesn't make the systray look or behave badly.

it's not about the systray, it's about making the rest of plasma and krunner
look like ass. things affected include:

- dashboard
- panel translucency
- krunner's interface
- the popups being introduced as Plasma::Dialog

> The system tray actually behaves better with ARGB visuals disabled due to
> other bugs in Qt. It's entirely possible that the workaround in place is
> what is "causing" GTK apps to crash. ;)

without that workaround, gtk icons don't show either though. so it's a common
issue.

> If plasma goes without ARGB visuals for 4.0, I think the best case is that
> toolkits attempt to fix things but a other issues pop up after ARGB visuals
> are reenabled in 4.1. Not putting down the toolkits, here; it's just that
> unhandled corner-cases are invariably found after putting code into the
> wild.

yep. and by "corner case" we mean "obvious things once you use pretty much any
real application using argb" ... which says to me: nobody has really done
this before. which is pathetic.