[Panel-devel] Solid-notifier and network-monitor

Alexis Ménard darktears31 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:30:38 CET 2007

2007/12/4, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister at gmx.net>:

> On Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007, Alexis Ménard wrote:
> > Ok it is possible to do something like : create a different behaviour
> when
> > the plasmoid is in different area...Yes i can work on it...But If the
> > applet is on the desktop you can be notify because the window will never
> > been on top!Actually not possible! So it will inform you only if you are
> on
> > the desktop...useless i think...
>
> Then you work around a plasma-bug because one should not be forced to have
> separate window just to get it on top.

I don't work around a plasma bug ..actually with plasma we have no issue to
put an applet that is on the desktop in front of all window...I think we
will work to find an issue for 4.1...

> For me a list with a scroolbar kill the usability...Why we need to display
> > a device that i have plug 3 hours ago?...I can get this shorcut in
> dolphin
> > or in konqueror...
>
> Because it is not transparent to the user why the device disappeared if he
> did
> not remove it. One one moment the device is still there, the next it is
> not
> without any user-action. If you make this configureable, i.e. off by
> default,
> fair enough, but otherwise it is not transparent and you will not know
> which
> time is sensible for all users.

Actually i have made a config ui (just right click) but it's not yet
implemented (soon i organize release party in France)...So i will propose an
option to delete automatically device after a time (by default off but it's
possible)...User can choose the number of items displayed (configureable by
default off). User will choose what they want!

Regarding scrolling, as I said, currently it would already need 5 items, do
> you know anyone who has 5 devices plugged to the computer at the same
> time?
> But even if, the scrolling would only be necessary if the list would
> become
> larger then the screen-height, which I think is very unlikely.

If you  display all items connected on your pc (before lauchnig the applet)
yes : a printer (USB), a usb mouse, my usb key, my external DD...So it's for
this reason i choose to display only "hot plug" like media-notifier in kde
3.

But maybe I just expect the wron thing from your plasmoid. I thought it
> should
> replace the media-applet from KDE3. If it is not meant to do that I might
> try
> to use yours as basis to do so.

Actually with a "more actions" link after the default action it will do the
same that the media notifier in kde3.5...But better because it display
previous plugged device...

Thank you for you're feedback!

Sven