[Panel-devel] Solid-notifier and network-monitor

Alexis Ménard darktears31 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 13:40:57 CET 2007

2007/12/4, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister at gmx.net>:

> On Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007, Alexis Ménard wrote:
> > Can you explain with more simple words please ;). I don't see what the
> > feature behind
>
> Of course. The panel is small, so the plasmoid has to be small. Hence a
> small
> icon is perfect. The desktop is big, so there is no need for a small icon
> but
> more room for usability.
>
> Currently the icon does not make a difference whether it is placed on the
> panel or the desktop, yet I think it should. Instead of displaying just
> the
> icon when placed on the desktop, it should display the window with all the
> plugged devices, like it did before the icon was introduced.

Ok it is possible to do something like : create a different behaviour when
the plasmoid is in different area...Yes i can work on it...But If the applet
is on the desktop you can be notify because the window will never been on
top!Actually not possible! So it will inform you only if you are on the
desktop...useless i think...

> Actually it's just a hot plug so it display only plugged device after
> > starting the system. It is possible to add other device plugged before
> the
> > plasmoid starts. I think if we display all plugged devices we will have
> > big list with too many items. Actually i write a code that remove items
> > after a x time to have a small list in order to clik quickly on an item.
> We
> > can have a list of device in dolphin or konqueror.
>
> What is a huge list for you? Currently the plasmoid displays an empty list
> for
> 5 items, I never saw anyone plugging more than two devices at the same
> time,
> but that does not mean anything. But even if a user has 7 devices plugged
> in
> at the same time, on the desktop this would not cause any trouble, even if
> the whole list is displayed and on the panel it would not either because
> there is just an icon.

For me a list with a scroolbar kill the usability...Why we need to display a
device that i have plug 3 hours ago?...I can get this shorcut in dolphin or
in konqueror...

In the end you are replacing the KDE3 kicker-applet, so people will expect
> all
> it did plus maybe some extra.
>
> Magically removing items after a certain time is a bad idea in my opinion
> since the user should decide whether items are removed or not, i.e. if the
> item is removed from the compute rit should be removed from the list.

Of course if you remove your device it is remove from the list.My idea was
to create a resizable list and with a maximum device on it...

How
> would one know whether the user likes the feature and what time one should
> use as default?

you can see on my blog many feedbacks about screenshots...

Sven