[Panel-devel] Solid-notifier and network-monitor

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Tue Dec 4 09:48:17 CET 2007

On Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007, Alexis Ménard wrote:
> Can you explain with more simple words please ;). I don't see what the
> feature behind

Of course. The panel is small, so the plasmoid has to be small. Hence a small
icon is perfect. The desktop is big, so there is no need for a small icon but
more room for usability.

Currently the icon does not make a difference whether it is placed on the
panel or the desktop, yet I think it should. Instead of displaying just the
icon when placed on the desktop, it should display the window with all the
plugged devices, like it did before the icon was introduced.

> Actually it's just a hot plug so it display only plugged device after
> starting the system. It is possible to add other device plugged before the
> plasmoid starts. I think if we display all plugged devices we will have a
> big list with too many items. Actually i write a code that remove items
> after a x time to have a small list in order to clik quickly on an item. We
> can have a list of device in dolphin or konqueror.

What is a huge list for you? Currently the plasmoid displays an empty list for
5 items, I never saw anyone plugging more than two devices at the same time,
but that does not mean anything. But even if a user has 7 devices plugged in
at the same time, on the desktop this would not cause any trouble, even if
the whole list is displayed and on the panel it would not either because
there is just an icon.

In the end you are replacing the KDE3 kicker-applet, so people will expect all
it did plus maybe some extra.

Magically removing items after a certain time is a bad idea in my opinion
since the user should decide whether items are removed or not, i.e. if the
item is removed from the compute rit should be removed from the list. How
would one know whether the user likes the feature and what time one should
use as default?

Sven