[Panel-devel] kicker does not unload the X-KDE-Library(my app) even after removing this applet from the panel !

Sudhir Reddy discoversudhir at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:02:32 CEST 2007

Hi Panel-Devel,

This mailing list is the closest match I found for this query, if I am
wrong, please direct me to the appropriate list.

While I was trying to test my first KDE App(A Stock ticker) implemented as a
KPanelApplet, I found that the X-KDE-Library(my app) was
not being unloaded by the kicker even after removing this applet from the
panel !

I could see the library still in use by kicker (Even hours after removing it
from the panel !) !
# cat /usr/share/apps/kicker/applets/mystockticker.desktop | grep X-KDE
X-KDE-Library=mystockticker_panelapplet
X-KDE-UniqueApplet = true

After unloading the above applet from the panel :

# lsof -p 24729 | grep stock
kicker  24729 sudhirkr  mem    REG        8,1   541119  154401
/usr/lib/mystockticker_panelapplet.so.1.0.0

Running this on RHEL5 with kdebase-3.5.4-13.5.el5
Was wondering is this expected behavior or a bug ?

If my understanding of the code logic is correct,
PluginManager::slotPluginDestroyed() is supposed to do the unload of library

after catching the destroy signal when the object is destroyed ?
(See http://lxr.kde.org/source/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kicker/kicker/core/pluginmanager.cpp#175
)

How do I debug to find if its a bug in my code or kicker code ?
Any pointers/ideas would be really appreciated.

-Cheers
Sudhir

This is Linux land. In silent nights you can hear the Windows machines
rebooting.