[Panel-devel] Pager extended for "viewports"

Timothée Lecomte timothee.lecomte at ens.fr
Thu Sep 21 02:47:17 CEST 2006

Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Thursday, 21. September 2006 02:19, Timothée Lecomte wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, it looks like Dirk took a slightly different approach.
>> Dirk chose to have one KMiniPagerButton per viewport
>>

> Nope, not really. I did start to implement minipager per desktop with viewport
> support, but eventually I gave up and just quick-hacked it for now. I'd be
> very happy merge the changes that are necessary to make this a bit nicer.

Well, give a try to what I sent and tell me what you think.
For the impatient, here is a screenshot with a desktop made of 8
viewports in 2 rows:
http://tipote.free.fr/compiz-pager-screenshot2.png

>> I chose to keep one KMiniPagerButton per desktop, but to modify its
>> shape according to the viewports layout it contains. The underlying idea
>> is that those viewports are really just a tiling of a large desktop (as
>> defined in EWMH), and this is particularly sensible when using compiz.
>>

> Absolutely, thats what I understood as well.
>

>> Moreover, a window can naturally be across two viewports, whereas this
>> is a little less easy to implement with Dirk's approach.
>>

> Oh, that works already. But I agree that wasn't the right solution.

Ah, ok, I missed that when reading your changes. My mistake.

>> - windows drag&drop in the pager does not work reliably when you try to
>> move a window from another viewport. I guess there is a problem
>> somewhere with the viewport position offsets, but I could not pinpoint
>> it yet.
>>

> I have the same bug suspect its an issue with compiz.

It's quite possible.

> :
>
>> - showing the desktop name actually doesn't show anything useful with
>> compiz, since there is one desktop only (currently).
>>

> This is one of the biggest reason for me hacking it as viewport == desktop
> into the minipager. This way at least some of the KDE settings are kept as
> they were with kwin.

Well, it's really limited to the desktop name, I don't think it's that
critical: when you use it, you lose the real aspect ratio, which is
quite nice to have in my opinion.

> Dirk

I'm sure we can do something good here !
Best regards,

Timothée