[Panel-devel] Pager extended for "viewports"

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Sep 21 12:17:05 CEST 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 02:47, Timothée Lecomte wrote:

> Well, give a try to what I sent and tell me what you think.
> For the impatient, here is a screenshot with a desktop made of 8
> viewports in 2 rows:
> http://tipote.free.fr/compiz-pager-screenshot2.png

I have thought about this some more. For a correct viewport-simulating window
manager support, we have to adjust a lot more. for example the various
taskbar implementations either show all windows or all windows on the current
desktop. Currently, with such a window manager, this setting is broken and
doesn't do anything. Well, it still works like it is working technically, but
for the user, it is perceived as broken. For the same way the current
minipager was perceived as broken for the user - even though it did exactly
what it was supposed to do.

There might be a window manager out there, either now or in the future, that
supports both desktops and viewports at the same time. What I'm thinking
about: should we really bother the KDE user with the difference? Does he care
if it is a viewport or a desktop? The funny thing is that the viewport
implementation in compiz doesn't actually allow to scroll the viewport by an
arbitrary amount - it only simulates a desktop tiled over it. The major
difference is that the context menu has an option "move to left viewport,
move to right viewport, move to above viewport, move to below viewport". Does
the cube plugin in compiz support desktops above and below?

The more I think about it, the more I believe we should not bother the user
with this difference. does the user really care if he moved the stuff to the
desktop "above" or below? And if, can't we just simulate that like we do now
with desktop implementation under kwin as well (by doing a two-row desktop
layout)? Does the user care about if he moved it to desktop 1, viewport 2 or
desktop 2 viewport 1? Why should he?

The moment we switch to viewports as children of desktops, the user is
confused: the desktop labels are not applied to viewports, the documentation
is all wrong, there are a lot of configuration settings in various
applications to be duplicated (each desktop related setting has to be
duplicated into a viewport related setting).

> > This is one of the biggest reason for me hacking it as viewport ==
> > desktop into the minipager. This way at least some of the KDE settings
> > are kept as they were with kwin.
> Well, it's really limited to the desktop name, I don't think it's that
> critical: when you use it, you lose the real aspect ratio, which is
> quite nice to have in my opinion.

Well, it is certainly a setting some people use..

Dirk