[Panel-devel] Pager extended for "viewports"

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Sep 21 02:39:41 CEST 2006

On Thursday, 21. September 2006 02:19, Timothée Lecomte wrote:

> Unfortunately, it looks like Dirk took a slightly different approach.
> Dirk chose to have one KMiniPagerButton per viewport

Nope, not really. I did start to implement minipager per desktop with viewport
support, but eventually I gave up and just quick-hacked it for now. I'd be
very happy merge the changes that are necessary to make this a bit nicer.

> I chose to keep one KMiniPagerButton per desktop, but to modify its
> shape according to the viewports layout it contains. The underlying idea
> is that those viewports are really just a tiling of a large desktop (as
> defined in EWMH), and this is particularly sensible when using compiz.

Absolutely, thats what I understood as well.

> Moreover, a window can naturally be across two viewports, whereas this
> is a little less easy to implement with Dirk's approach.

Oh, that works already. But I agree that wasn't the right solution.

> - windows drag&drop in the pager does not work reliably when you try to
> move a window from another viewport. I guess there is a problem
> somewhere with the viewport position offsets, but I could not pinpoint
> it yet.

I have the same bug suspect its an issue with compiz.
:
> - showing the desktop name actually doesn't show anything useful with
> compiz, since there is one desktop only (currently).

This is one of the biggest reason for me hacking it as viewport == desktop
into the minipager. This way at least some of the KDE settings are kept as
they were with kwin.

Dirk