[Panel-devel] OpenGL while composite is enabled : how to deal with that issue

Pierre D. pinaraf at robertlan.eu.org
Sun Sep 18 11:13:54 CEST 2005

Hi

Let me introduce myself : I'm Pierre Ducroquet, french student and developer
on the Project Looking Glass.
Looking Glass aims at creating a 3D desktop environment. Don't worry, that's
not a threat for KDE yet, and that may never be a threat.
But while developing Looking Glass, some issues appeared, making it even
harder to install... Looking Glass is a full 3D environment, so you can
easily guess it rely on an OpenGL support. Our current X applications support
rely on Composite : with composite, we are able to redirect (we also have
another X extension for events redirection or something like that) the
windows drawings to an opengl texture.
Don't you see the issue ?

That's simple : most graphic cards drivers won't enable opengl while composite
is enabled ! Currently, only the nVidia drivers allow that through an
unstable option : "AllowGLXWithComposite". That means every other graphic
card can't run Looking Glass with all its features :/

But what with Plasma and KDE4 ? If we use Composite to draw windows shadows
for instance, we won't be able to launch any 3D application with most graphic
cards !! And there is another issue : how to draw translucent windows
containing 3D apps ? I had a discussion with some X.org developers : X.org
will _perhaps_ allow that for the 7.1 release, but that'll be unstable.

Did you already have a discussion about that with the ATI folks ? Can they add
a kind of "AllowGLXWithComposite" option ? The same apply for every other
driver off course :/

Thanks, and good luck for KDE4 (I'll try to help, but I can't promise
anything)