[Panel-devel] Introducing me

Ryan Nickell p0z3r at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 18 02:43:23 CEST 2005

On Saturday 17 September 2005 16:04, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the idea is to have the language bindings individually loaded on demand
> when required for a given applet, which in turn requires at least one base
> class to use as the plugin loaded that would then allow us to feed scripts
> to an interpreter, to an executor and also provide bindings.

This is something we've been trying to figure out in the SK testbed in /trunk
currently.

> i'm also very interested in the ability to thread as much of this as
> possible. with JS we should be able to have all the parsing done in one
> thread, and probably execute each script thereafter in their own thread.
> i'm still working on how to do the painting (off-screen painting might work
> though; or building SVG interfaces with Qt4.1; still working on the
> details)

What I would think is that some base class widget determines which language it
needs to be using, after it is created we call it's parsing function based
upon language which would also be in the base class start thread method, and
then finish with the widget running whatever functionality it is implementing
(i.e. like a running SK theme).

> with python, how realistic will it be to put parsing, execution, etc in
> their own threads?

Can't we use the C++ threads to control this?  Parsing and execution would
take place in the widgets run method.  Or maybe you are referring to Python
sandboxing.

> also, we need to make the language plugins API async in nature (even if it
> is all done synchronously behind the scenes)...
>
> anyways, input from those doing language bindings is more than welcome.

-Ryan