[Panel-devel] Introducing me

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Sep 18 01:09:25 CEST 2005

On Saturday 17 September 2005 15:22, Eric Jardim wrote:
> 2005/9/17, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> We could work on something like a C++ interface for all interpreters. After
> that, the rest of the work is just as normal bindings.

right..

> Instead, we could
> think of something like auto-generation, but I have some ideas that need to
> be discussed later.

ok, i look forward to that.

> I am just worried about incorporating the boost libraries as a dependency
> for Plasma Python script

why would we need to?

> Fine, but what kind of thread you are talking about? I mean, we can thread
> in the C++ level with the QThread (or not) classes, or we can thread in
> Python (which is more complicated, I think).

at the C++ level.

> > is
> > all done synchronously behind the scenes)...
>
> The interpreter can run on the same thread. If not, the context change must
> be explict and locked. I don't like thread (don't find then useful), and if
> you want to use, you must accept all it's implications. We still have
> execution loops and timers :)

which all get in the way of the GUI updating. c.f. kmail and kontact in
general for the horrors of doing this. the workspace must be kept
interactive; kicker and kdesktop are already too unresponsive as it is.

> I will try to help in what I can. Time is not my friend, you know. By now,

i have yet to meet someone doing something productive for whome time is their
friend ;)

> python-qt4 is my main goal. But it would be cool to play with Plasma and
> that would be nice if I can share some of the time I spent in Qt4 to be
> used in Plasma.

that's all anyone hopes for i think =))

and yes, you can certainly get kde4 working alongside / in addition to kde3,
just as you can have a devel version of kde3 installed next to a stable
version of kde3.