[Panel-devel] Introducing me

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 00:57:11 CEST 2005

On 9/17/05, Eric Jardim <ericjardim at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2005/9/17, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> > november 1 is my target for having the bindings projects (among a couple
> of
> > other things) ready to start. it first requires, obviously, some plasma
> APIs
> > to be at least semi-settled in.
> >
> > i expect the process to be somewhat iterative.
>
>  Ok, between that is it possible to play with KDE4/Plasma yet? Without
> messing with my KDE3 configs?
>
> > i'm particularly interested in a plasma API only set of bindings, which
> > shouldn't be a problem. what you could provide that would be of quite some
> > value to us in the meantime is input onto the binding plugin API and
> system
> >
> > the idea is to have the language bindings individually loaded on demand
> when
> > required for a given applet, which in turn requires at least one base
> class
> > to use as the plugin loaded that would then allow us to feed scripts to an
> > interpreter, to an executor and also provide bindings.
>

>  We could work on something like a C++ interface for all interpreters. After
> that, the rest of the work is just as normal bindings. Instead, we could
> think of something like auto-generation, but I have some ideas that need to
> be discussed later.

For the meantime, if you'd like to work with bindings as they relate
to Plasma, we're going to use SK as a sort of playground for the
bindings used in Plasma. Plasma itself is just as too young a stage
imho to start popping bindings in. Though planning for it is
definitely very useful, if you want to dive right in and try making
bindings for applets right now (as you seem to be) then SK is where
it's at :)