[Panel-devel] SK welcome form and themes dialog

Ryan Nickell p0z3r at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 03:20:53 CEST 2005

I've got a response from Frank about the link to use in our GHNS
functionality.
http://download.kde.org/khotnewstuff/karamba-providers.xml
I've tested this and it works great using KNS::DownloadDialog() in the
welcome form in place of popping up Konqueror to just go to the
superkaramba.com site.  The only draw back, which is also a scalability
issue, is that it only lists 30 submissions from kdelook.
I'd like to have a full listing so that when people click on Most
Downloaded, they actually get _the_ most downloaded, and not just out of
the most recent 30 submissions.  However, doing that isn't scalable
whatsoever.  I imagine that over time that the size of the generated xml
file would grow to the point where bandwidth is a concern for not just
the user, but also kdelook.org.

When we get that new and improved theme dialog working, we will need to
remove/replace the welcome form.  I'd love to get cracking at the GHNS
install code when we get that in as well.

It might be worth bouncing the name of the new desktop off the people in
#kde-devel or on one of the other mailing lists.  That way they can
chime in on the ideas we have.  I think Plasma is going to be the new
name in the end. ;)

-Ryan