[Panel-devel] Future of the KDE desktop

Fred Schaettgen kde.sch at ttgen.net
Thu Jun 2 02:27:17 CEST 2005

On Wednesday, 1. June 2005 23:36, Alexander Wiedenbruch wrote:
> As I understand you want to try to add new features, cleanups and eyecandy
> to kicker or better to the whole KDE desktop.
> But as I understand the basic concept is staying: a "start-button" for
> apps, a task bar, a system tray.

> So, why don't try something new? I think that the KDE desktop has an
> opportunity here.

Because so far we failed to find something that is so much better than what we
have, that it is justified to throw away everything and confront users with a
UI they are not used to at all?
There will be a lot of new things, but you will certainly keep moving windows
around with a mouse for a few years.

> At the moment kicker is "working" like the Windows taskbar.
> There is a button for my applications an the left side, the are some icons
> for quick access, a section showing open windows and a system tray.
> On the desktop the user usually has icons of applications.
> One can say - perhaps a little dramatically - KDE is the Open Source
> Windows.

If you say so..

> But I think it is better for future of KDE to create a new way of handling
> these things. I think KDE needs a new user interface concept.
> It has to be different from OS X or Windows. So users can identify, "yes,
> this is a KDE desktop", but is has to be usable and allow easy migration of
> users.

It should be only different where it results in a benefit for the users.  It
is also true that the look of KDE must change over time. Changes under the
hood must shine through to the user, so that both brain and heart know that
it is new. But that doesn't mean that we have to change well known concepts
just for the sake of being different.
I hope KDE4 will not look and behave *that* much different from OSX and
Windows, but take the established concepts a few steps further.

You're saying that KDE doesn't have an own identity already that is at stake.
But maybe that's just not true. If Windows users feel comfortable with KDE
that's fine. But it doesn't mean that they can't tell the difference. And
there _are_ differences. Enough for everyone ;)

> But there is the appeal project, the usability experts are more integrated
> into the KDE development, so I think it is not impossible.
> I thought that these ideas already exist, but I was a little disappointed
> seeing that the basic user interface concept is not changing.

Did you read about the integration of superkaramba for instance? The kmenu
discussions? The system tray threads?
Your desktop won't look the same with KDE4, don't worry.

> I think you have discussed this topic earlier and have good arguments about
> the changes you propose, but I really like to see something new and this
> mail is just a motivation to try something new. I know you will do a good
> work in KDE 4 and I am really looking forward to it.

If you know a concept which will make everybody more happy than what we have -
let us know ;)

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch at ttgen.net