[Panel-devel] name for kde4

Ryan Nickell p0z3r at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 02:08:11 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:36 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all..
>
> this name was mentioned to me by someone else as a possibility for some of
> kicker's new features in kde4 and i've decided to mercilessly steal it and
> posit it as the name for All That Was Once Kicker, Super Karamba and
> Everything Else We Manage to Suck In To Our Grand Scheme of Desktop Greatness
> That Is Panel-Devel:
>
> 	plasma
>
> what do you think? yes? no? opinions? since this is more than just my toil now
> i do not feel comfortable simply slapping a sticker on the side of this puppy
> without some consensus ;)
That name is explanitory of the work we are gearing up.  I like it, but
have some other candidates that I'd like to catch an opinion on for the
sake of having options. ;)

> personally i think plasma is a powerful and catchy name. it resonates with
> power, energy and "flash". it's a cool name i think we can get people excited
> about.
It is a phase of matter distinct from solids, liquids, and normal gases.
That sounds sooo cool, and what you said.

> and with kicker entering a new stage of its life, i think it's time it had a
> new name. not to mention that with SK adding so much to it in KDE4, the new
> language bindings, the idea of including the desktop layer ..... it's time
> for a rebranding. much like the Firefox rebrand, we'll keep ahead with our
> code bases, but use the new name to communicate our going-forward vision to
> developers and usesr alike. the kicker binary will probably change names, but
> the code will likely still use the term Kicker for the panel bits; so
> "kicker" will become the panel subset of plasma, and libkicker will likely
> become libplasma with the addition of the SK efforts.
Having a name to throw around will definitely help development and ideas
from people outside of panel-devel and give some marketing flare to KDE
4.0.

> a KDE artist is working on a logo for it already. we discussed the
> symbolism/messages needed in it, so we'll see what he (pinheiro) comes up
> with. he approached me about the new logo and we discussed the new name, he
> liked it a lot and went off to work on some designs (which i'll share as they
> come in =) ... so i figure it's a good time to actually get some consensus on
> this matter.
Can't wait to see it!

> what do you all think? (and please feel free to kick me in the teeth ;)

Here's my two candidates spinning off of your suggested name.

aurora
- A luminous atmospheric phenomenon appearing as streamers or bands of
light sometimes visible in the night sky in northern or southern regions
of the earth. It is thought to be caused by charged particles from the
sun entering the earth's magnetic field and stimulating molecules in the
atmosphere.
- The goddess of the dawn.

corona
- A faintly colored luminous ring appearing to surround a celestial body
visible through a haze or thin cloud, especially such a ring around the
moon or sun, caused by diffraction of light from suspended matter in the
intervening medium.

They both have that 'visually amazing' feel to them.  Although, corona
at least in the USA is associated with a popular brand of beer.

-Ryan