[Panel-devel] name for kde4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 1 01:36:20 CEST 2005

hi all..

this name was mentioned to me by someone else as a possibility for some of
kicker's new features in kde4 and i've decided to mercilessly steal it and
posit it as the name for All That Was Once Kicker, Super Karamba and
Everything Else We Manage to Suck In To Our Grand Scheme of Desktop Greatness
That Is Panel-Devel:

	plasma

what do you think? yes? no? opinions? since this is more than just my toil now
i do not feel comfortable simply slapping a sticker on the side of this puppy
without some consensus ;)

personally i think plasma is a powerful and catchy name. it resonates with
power, energy and "flash". it's a cool name i think we can get people excited
about.

and with kicker entering a new stage of its life, i think it's time it had a
new name. not to mention that with SK adding so much to it in KDE4, the new
language bindings, the idea of including the desktop layer ..... it's time
for a rebranding. much like the Firefox rebrand, we'll keep ahead with our
code bases, but use the new name to communicate our going-forward vision to
developers and usesr alike. the kicker binary will probably change names, but
the code will likely still use the term Kicker for the panel bits; so
"kicker" will become the panel subset of plasma, and libkicker will likely
become libplasma with the addition of the SK efforts.

a KDE artist is working on a logo for it already. we discussed the
symbolism/messages needed in it, so we'll see what he (pinheiro) comes up
with. he approached me about the new logo and we discussed the new name, he
liked it a lot and went off to work on some designs (which i'll share as they
come in =) ... so i figure it's a good time to actually get some consensus on
this matter.

what do you all think? (and please feel free to kick me in the teeth ;)