[Panel-devel] Quick comment on Marc Cramdal's ALI blog

Marc Cramdal marc.cramdal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:45:57 CEST 2005

On 7/21/05, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 July 2005 01:02, Wade Olson wrote:
> > 1) Metadata: He mentions about hovering over an application and receiving
> > information about the application before launch (through Konqi/Clippy or
> > otherwise). I like this idea quite a bit. Last launch, 'About' information
> > (version, etc), and the same brief description that Kicker gives would be
> > quite useful. Especially to new Linux users that are staring down 45 email
> > client options (shame on you distros). For those minimalists, maybe an info
> > toggle might appease?
>
> the question will be WHERE to show this information. i'm not hot on a popup
> widget that obscures the interface here (check out how annoying that is in
> kalzium right now ;)
On my ALI mockup, it is on the bottom right corner of the ALI. One of
the good thing with a "fullscreen" ALI is that it let some space.

Some people were complaining about the little Konqi in the bottom
right corner because it looks like Microsoft Assistant poping up some
stuff; right, but my ALI is only one theme among another :-)

> 2) Application Launching in general: I'd to hear people's thoughts on
> application bundles. People in different roles may consistently launch the
> same group of applications. One example would be the group that you have
> start automatically on boot-up. A developer may want KDevelop, a DB client,
> Konqeror and a code profiler to launch together. So maybe letting a user
> define a logical bundle of similar apps, and displaying those bundles for
> launch (with corresponding bundle CRUD window) could be slick on the ALI.
Yes, as said Aaron, it's completly work/task oriented. I think there
is some interesting work to do here.

Cheers,
Marc.