[Panel-devel] drag 'n drop of applets brokenness

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 19 00:35:44 CEST 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 01:16, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> sorry for the late answer, but I was stressed the last weeks.

np.. i figured you had life on your hands =)

for those who aren't familiar with Stefan: he's one of the few brave souls who
stepped up to help make kicker more awesome than ever for 3.5 and actually
stuck with it. he's a good coder and an asset to the team. =)

> On Monday, 13. June 2005 23:21, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> [...]
>
> > right now if you drag an applet off the panel, then back on, then off,
> > then on it will eventually crash with a REALLY nasty (e.g. meaningless)
>
> Sorry, Aaron, but I can't reproduce this. Neither with my outdated kicker
> version nor with the current trunk.

it seems to be ok in the trunk/ ... someone posted a backtrace for a similar
crash on just a panel-to-panel drag 'n drop that i tracked down to memory
corruption in containerarealayoutitem...

here, let me grab the code...

        QLayoutItem* takeCurrent()
        {
            QLayoutItem* item = 0;
            ContainerAreaLayout::ItemList::iterator b = m_list->at(m_idx);
            if (b != m_list->end())
            {
                ContainerAreaLayoutItem* layoutItem = *b;
                item = layoutItem->item;
                layoutItem->item = 0;
                m_list->erase(b);
                delete layoutItem;
            }
            return item;
        }

before it was just doing:

                m_list->erase(b);
                delete *b;

well, once you erase an iterator, it's no longer valid =) this works if the
memory doesn't get overwritten in the meantime, but depending on the
optimizations and other compiler behaviours that's obviously not guaranteed.

> So, now I have to get familiar with plasma.. Nice name btw. No bonds
> anymore or what was your/the intention?

yeah... the fourth, highly excited and energized state of matter where the
particles behave as a coherent whole ... seemed appropriate that this was the
fourth major version of KDE and that our goal is something exciting and
coherent that is made up of lots of little components =)

most of the matter in the universe is also plasma, so i thought that would
bode well for our future success ;)

> Hopefully, I get my DSLine these days. A checkout of the kde4 branch on an
> ISDN line isn't funny, I tell ya.

erm.. i can imagine.. if you'd like me to make tarballs and upload them
somewhere, let me know.