[Panel-devel] Helping Out

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jul 16 20:35:53 CEST 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 07:31, Colin Thomsen wrote:
> - Are most developers using Kdevelop?

i don't think so.. i use kwrite and/or vim myself.

> Are there any project files available?

not that i know of.

> - How do you test your changes? I tried running kate from the
> installed KDEbase and it mainly worked, aside from some serious font
> issues, but how do most developers test run their code?

when it comes to kicker i usually do: `dcopquit kicker; sleep 1; kicker` from
a konsole ... then i usually test my changes by directly interacting with
kicker ...

the biggest pain is remembering that layout and painting code often needs to
be checked with horizontal and vertical panels, transparency and sometimes
RTL (kicker -reverse) ...

> - What can I help out with?

well, right now the entry level jobs mostly surround getting Q3* classes out
of the applets...

the following applets have Q3 compat classes still in use:

	- run
	- media
	- lockout
	- systemtray
	- minipager

feel free to pick one or more of those and remove the Q3* classes and replace
them with their Qt4 equvalents. #kde4-devel can be a useful place to ask
questions, or failing that #kde-devel ... or, of course, here.

i need to spend some time this weekend putting together some documentation on
"what's next" since this is where things are going to start diverge from Old
Kicker pretty radically and it seems we have so many people helping that
we're going to need to be able to divvy tasks up.

wow. who would've thought i'd be able to say that a year ago? =)))