[Panel-devel] ATi- Plasma- support

David Solbach d at vidsolbach.de
Thu Aug 18 09:33:15 CEST 2005

Zitat von danalien <panel-devel at datormaffian.com>:

> But sure, if ppl like to go the-political-way, fine, it's your choice
> & your time you'll spend.
>

> ... I'm more the work efficent-kinda-person, ergo my opinion.

Hi Danalien,

just my 2 cents:

I think you have to recall that companies like nVidia and ATI consider their
closed source drivers as one, if not the, most valuable IP they own. Also be
certain, that representatives of the KDE project will definately not talk to a
CEO or some equally important position which make decisions.

In my opinion it makes no sense to approach them by "demanding" OSS drivers as
the first and (probably) the last sentence you speak.

If there is a little chance, that somewhen in the future one of the big
Graphics
Board Manufacturers will release OSS drivers for their high end
products it will
only happen because _they_ realise it will help _them_ to gain profit
and market
share. A decision like that would most certanly only be made by the board of
directors and they really have to be convinced by their own people that its
good for them to provide OSS drivers.

So the best thing that OSS Projects like KDE or X or whatever can do is to get
in touch, learn from each other and, as a long term goal, show them how great
OSS works and what value they themselfes could create with supporting the
community more.

David