[Panel-devel] The Plasma Keyboard

Wade Olson wadejolson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:41:56 CEST 2005

Good point.

In general, KDE's flexibility on platforms forces awareness. Any UI design
bring with it the past learning experiences of previous Windows, Mac,
Solaris, Mainframe users (with regards to keyboard layouts), etc. Further,
shortcuts on those keyboards are not all standardized.

I'd hazard a guess that a mature method of such desktop-control would score
"Legitimacy" points with old-school Quixotic Users Evading Brazen Eye Candy
(QUEBEC).

Of course, trying to please everyone all the time leads to a well-known
maxism. If Plasma too closely resembles another OSes Keyboard/shortcut/macro
patterns, they're copying and not being original. If they're original,
they're not adhering to standards and existing user habits (barrier to
entry). Take your pick.

I do know this: Aaron is being very mindful of creating a workflow-driven
experience. That would seemingly set the stage for such control mechanisms.
Will you be able to move around plasmoids and DnD icon bundles on Day 1 of
the release? Doubtful. But I don't think that the Plasma group will require
the Clapper and Bluetooth Telepathy to be efficient with Plasma either.

As long as we don't mention setting up a freedesktop consortium to discuss
options, I think we'll be fine.

Regards,
Wade