[Owncloud] SQLite vs MariaDB/MySQL

Jakub Moscicki Jakub.Moscicki at cern.ch
Sat Jan 11 14:12:49 UTC 2014

I also don't think, that this needs benchmarks. Nevertheless benchmarks
to measure the performance of owncloud would be nice to have. With those
we could see, how changes on the code improve or degrade the performance.

Agreed. For me it is not clear WHAT to measure. Upload/download times in the function of the file size?Time to make an "idle" propfind (if the account hasn't changed since the last sync)?
To make things worse, it also depends on the file/directory structure. For example, we know that OC5 and to some extent OC6 has a design bug which makes the upload time dependant on the number of files in the directory (https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/5084).

Some parameters for the benchmark that come to my mind (to produce
meaningful results) are:
- oc version
- webserver
- database
- installed apps
- number of simulated users (size of db, # concurrent connections, # and
size of files, types of requests)

- https / http
- storage backend (local disk, NFS mounted disk,...)
- hardware + network

Also if the DB is co-hosted with the web server or not (assuming it is not a DB cluster).

I would tend to think that the benchmark should simulate some realistic usage expected to be handled by a single web server box + single db box. For example:
 - N user accounts (e.g. 200)
 - K concurrent desktop clients per account (e.g. 1,2 or 3)
 - M new files created by each client every S seconds (e.g. M=1, S=60), etc…

At the same time the web navigation (via the browser) should be not suffering at all (how to measure that?).

Well, it's not trivial to define what's meaningful.

If there are benchmarks like this I'd really like to hear about that.
Also if someone is willing and capable of setting up these kind of
benchmarks, please keep me informed ;)

I am also interested :-)

We are currently using the opensmashbox scripts (on github) to do something similar to validate our pilot service but we don't have definitive answers (yet ;-))….

kuba