[Owncloud] SQLite vs MariaDB/MySQL

Otto Kekäläinen otto at seravo.fi
Sat Jan 11 18:21:11 UTC 2014

2014/1/11 Jakub Moscicki <Jakub.Moscicki at cern.ch>:
> At the same time the web navigation (via the browser) should be not
> suffering at all (how to measure that?).
>
> Well, it's not trivial to define what's meaningful.

The place where speed matters the most, is the UI. It must be quick so
that users don't have to wait after each click. How fast the files
syncing is in the background is also important, but not as much.

There should be some set of standard benchmark contents of the
database and files, and then the benchmark could browse the browser
based UI and measure response times.

At least now I've seen on multiple installations that the browser
interface is very slow if there are more than just a trivial amount of
files. I suspect it is related to the database locking in sqlite or
something.. Therefore benchmarks with different database backends
would be good.

Also since sqlite is probably not useful even for home users, if your
home includes more than one family member and relatives and friends
using shared files, I'd suggest that OwnCloud should be packaged so
that the rpm/deb packages install it by default with MariaDB.