[Owncloud] Contacts field formatting - Names and postal addresses in particular

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Sat Mar 9 17:41:22 UTC 2013

On Saturday 09 March 2013 16:11 Chris Green wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 02:36:17PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > Name fields:-
> >
> > I would *really* prefer to be able to sort on last/family name.  It
> > seems as if owncloud sorts on the display name and doesn't offer any
> > alternative.

Yes currently only by display name. We discussed it briefly in
https://github.com/owncloud/apps/issues/97
Feel free to file a feature request :)

> > In addition it would be useful if the name editing was more explicit
> > about how display name, given name and family name are handled.
> >
> > What is one expected to do for business names?

What do you mean about business names? Currently ORG and TITLE support is
implemented https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#section-3.5

> It actually seems rather more broken than I thought.
>
> If you simply enter a name in the "Enter name" box then *all* of it gets
> put into Last Name/Family Name in the vCard - this is plain wrong.  If
> you then synchronise this with another program that does things right it
> all gets very confusing.

Well it's a compromise between simplicity in the UX and supporting the rfc as
good as possible. The current implementation parses the formatted display name
after a basic, western style first name, additional names and last name and
doesn't deal with pre- and suffixes. I explained some of the reason in
https://github.com/owncloud/apps/issues/693

You also have to take into consideration that this is a relatively simple web
app, that is supposed to work sufficiently for the vast majority. It still
needs a lot of polishing, but it will never be a full blown business
application. You can easily sync with a desktop application via CardDAV if you
want full all the bells and whistles ;)

I've CC'd to Jan-Christoph Borchardt who is the main man for UX issues.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus