[Owncloud] Contacts field formatting - Names and postal addresses in particular

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Mar 9 18:05:35 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 06:41:22PM +0100, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Saturday 09 March 2013 16:11 Chris Green wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 02:36:17PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > > Name fields:-
> > >
> > > I would *really* prefer to be able to sort on last/family name.  It
> > > seems as if owncloud sorts on the display name and doesn't offer any
> > > alternative.
>
> Yes currently only by display name. We discussed it briefly in
> https://github.com/owncloud/apps/issues/97
> Feel free to file a feature request :)

OK, I'll definitely do that as sorting by family name makes *much* more
sense.  Where do I put feature requests - are they just issues?

> > > In addition it would be useful if the name editing was more explicit
> > > about how display name, given name and family name are handled.
> > >
> > > What is one expected to do for business names?
>
> What do you mean about business names? Currently ORG and TITLE support is
> implemented https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#section-3.5

The trouble is that if one just types a name in the "Enter name" field
it all gets put into Family Name, so there's no differentiation between
my friend "James Smith" and a company called "Jammy Dodgers", they both
get sorted by the "Jam....".

> > It actually seems rather more broken than I thought.
> >
> > If you simply enter a name in the "Enter name" box then *all* of it gets
> > put into Last Name/Family Name in the vCard - this is plain wrong.  If
> > you then synchronise this with another program that does things right it
> > all gets very confusing.
>
> Well it's a compromise between simplicity in the UX and supporting the rfc as
> good as possible. The current implementation parses the formatted display name
> after a basic, western style first name, additional names and last name and

No it doesn't, if I enter "James Smith" as the name then it's simply
filed with a Family Name of "James Smith" and all the other fields
are empty.

Even more confusing, if I edit the "James Smith" entry and put "Smith,
James" instead then the Family Name is *still* "James Smith"!

Entering "Smith, James" as a new entry still puts the whole of "Smith,
James" into the family name.

> doesn't deal with pre- and suffixes. I explained some of the reason in
> https://github.com/owncloud/apps/issues/693
>
> You also have to take into consideration that this is a relatively simple web
> app, that is supposed to work sufficiently for the vast majority. It still
> needs a lot of polishing, but it will never be a full blown business
> application. You can easily sync with a desktop application via CardDAV if you
> want full all the bells and whistles ;)
>
> I've CC'd to Jan-Christoph Borchardt who is the main man for UX issues.

Yes, OK, that's what I'm doing to some extent.

However just about every other address book I've played with has
explicit separate fields for First Name and Last Name, I think it would
be better if owncloud did the same.

--
Chris Green