[Owncloud] Owncloud Plasma client status

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Mar 6 14:00:37 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:04:34 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> On 06.03.2013 05:31, Joseph Marrero wrote:
> > Klass, Sebas, I just wanted to know if it was still the plan to include
> > the
> > plasma client with the mirall source on one of the
> > next official releases and build it with the cmake flag.

That's the plan, at least on my side. Klaas?

> On one of the next official Plasma releases? How about having the
> ownCloud sync library stabilized and as a kind of 3rd-party lib in KDE?
> I am not sure what obligations that means for me, and if I can do it,
> but we should talk about that.

Basically, you need to provide some kind of guarantee of API and ABI
stability. The overhead would lie in keeping things in sync. Typical scenario:

* Arch user has the latest and greatest
* Debian user has a two-minor steps older version
* they're source / binary incompatible
-> I have to jump through hoops to make the code build and work against both
-> My testing never catches all problems, complexity rises, I get a headache

That's basically why I'd like to keep it in the same repository, it ensures
that lib and client are in sync.

> Is the lib technically now doing what you need? I am aware of a couple
> of minor things as I played with it in Kraft, but in general?

More or less, I have to dig into it less and less. That's good. :)

Cheers,
--
sebas