[Owncloud] Application inclusion in next release ?

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Sun Jan 27 11:56:37 UTC 2013

On 27.01.2013, at 12:04, Antoine Diamant-Berger <thesfreader at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> In a previous email, I sent about my "Library" application, for ebooks display/filtering/access (for now) and management (later).
>
> I've reached a point where it's usable, and wonder what criteria are applied/relevant for inclusion in an official release, or if such an application is only intended to be hosted in the apps.ownCloud.com appstore.

Hi Antoine,

great. I'm looking forward to try it. :-)

The idea is to be very careful with including more apps in the default release in the future The main package that we release every few month. We don't want to be in a situation that we have to release a huge pile of unmaintained app with every release in the future.
Instead most of the new apps should be hosted on apps.owncloud.com and can be installed on demand by the users.
The benefit is that you can release your app anytime you want and also update it anytime you want. (I'm working on an app updater at the moment.)
The installation of apps from apps.owncloud.com is integrated in a way that the user won't notice the difference from enabling apps that are shipped with the release.

So we will get more flexibility for the app developers without a bad user experience.

Does this work for you?

Frank