[Owncloud] What is clientsync?

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Fri Jan 25 18:17:47 UTC 2013

Hi Jonnathan,

On 25.01.2013, at 19:11, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:

> When I used owncloud in the past, it stored a number of folders in the root of my shared directory. Now I've set it syncing again, it has created a directory called "clientsync" and is storing all my data in there - effectively duplicating it all within a subdirectory.
>
> Is this normal behaviour? Can I turn it off? I'd rather everything was in the root.

Restricting the sync to the "/clientsync" directory is a default behavior we are going to change soon. There were many reasons for this in the past, but it's probably not apt anymore. However, you can chance this by removing the current folder sync in the status dialog, and then immediately re-adding it, but without specifying a directory on the sever.

> When I set up owncloud-client I didn't enter clientsync into the path, or see it mentioned anywhere.

Unless you built ownCloud Client yourself with special options, I serously doubt that. You probably had played around with the folder configuration when you installed it first.

Cheers,
  Daniel