[Owncloud] My OwnCloud Library Application

Antoine Diamant-Berger thesfreader at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:58:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,

You may have seen a few pull requests or comments from me in the near
past, and will probably see some more in the near future, so I guess I
could at least introduce my project to you...

Below is a copy of the blog post I translated from French today.
I hope I'll be able to produce at least a decent start on te
feature-list, and may call for help when needed... I'll also try and
share my own knowledge (small WRT OwnCloud, but a little bit more on
the ebooks subject ;) )

Cheers

[...] my new project : creating an application/plugin for OwnCloud
(v5.0), that should at first enable the management of a personal
library in his own Cloud. Featurewise, it'll try to at least mirror
COPS, but based on the Owncloud infrastructure (database included)
rather than a Calibre backend.

Here is a quick screenshot of the Web view (an ebook's details) of the
current version.

I grant you, that's ugly as sin. I'm not at my best (understatement)
with  HTML/CSS/JS/Whatever. But it looks like it may be working \o/ !

Here are the planned features. order by rough priority, with asterisks
for the already implemented ones.

Feeding it:
* Every epub file stored (through the "Files application" or
synchronization) to the Owncloud install are listed, with a detailed
page, enabling download.
Multi-format management, perhaps linking/using mobi/azw/kf8 files
acquisition through synchronization with shelves on other OPDS
servers, or to a general catalog for widely freely available ebooks.
Take care to authentification questions.
Acquisition through access to an external mailbox and import of
attached files. Relevan messages should be filtered by email sender,
content, subject line...

Web Access:
* Access to own personal library in pure Web mode, through connection
on Owncloud, and access to the specific application. The major
metadata are extracted form the source files and displayed, Cover (an
thumbnail) included. A download link is also available.
Ordering based on different criteria ("feed date", publication date,
title, author etc.)
Filtering by author/title/series and other facets.
Metadata update, without touching the original file, but forwarding
the updated version.
Online "streaming" reading Javascript application

OPDS access:
* OPDS Feed with access to the whole library. This feed is only
available to the identified user
OPDS 1.1 conformity
Filtering/sorting and multi-format functionality, mirroring those of
the Web access.

Sharing:
Fine grained sharing of the Library (without download links),
displaying the details of the books, but without DL links.
Share annotations books, either general (review, notation), or
content-specific (text blocks, highlights etc.).
Possibly limited DL availability.

I've shared (and will keep it up to date) the source code
http://github.com/TheSFReader,
If you've any trouble to install or test, or any suggestion to add to
the features planning, please suggest !