[Owncloud] User primary key questions

Sarah Jones sarah.e.p.jones at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 21:17:06 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm working on a research project for ICT4D in which I want to have a
network of owncloud instances that are delay/fault tolerant.

I was hoping to do most of this work entirely as an app, so I could easily
publish it for others to use as well, but I'm starting to wonder if that is
possible.

The db structure has the uid as the primary key.  In my case, I would want
the primary key to be the uid and the owncloud instance (so I'd probably
also want the table primary key to be a auto-increasing unique integer to
make lookup/referencing faster).

I was hoping that you would share with me if it would be possible to do
these kinds of modifications as an app, or if I would have to make those
modifications directly to the core.  Also, I was wondering if there were
any significant design choices to why you chose to use the uid string as
the primary key rather than an auto-increasing integer (perhaps I should
take a different approach in my design).

BTW, this product is awesome and I'm so glad that it is open source!

Thanks,
~Sarah