[Owncloud] Download limit implementation

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Wed Jan 16 07:26:37 UTC 2013

Hi Sampath,

On Wednesday 16 January 2013 11:15:49 Sampath Basnagoda wrote:
> I'm planning to limit downloading amount of a particular user, because of
> the bandwidth issues.
sounds to me like an addition that makes sense for certain situations. So
having this available as an optional app would be great! Maybe it makes sense
to handle upload and download limits likewise once you are on it.

> I noticed that there is an option to select *Default
> Quota *when creating a new user by the admin. What is it about? [?] Is that
> maximum uploading amount for a user? [?] I couldn't find about this in the
> documentation.
No exactly. Quota limits are not applied transfer volume based, but
statically. This is a traditional option from account management in a unix
like environment:

It limits the storage capacity a user account has available. Traditionally
there were two limits: a hard and a soft quota. Hard meaning: operation fails,
soft meaning it succeeds, however content is removed again automatically after
a certain grace (and warning!) period.
Such limit is obviously related to transfer volumes, since content has to be
uploaded first. However it is not the same, since when the user frees storage
capacity by removing content, then he is free to upload again.
So the motivation for setting quotas is not bandwidth, but storage capacity.

Christian Reiner (arkascha)