[Owncloud] Partition users using LDAP

Tornóci László tornoci.laszlo at med.semmelweis-univ.hu
Wed Jan 16 07:24:00 UTC 2013

Hi Arthur,

On 01/15/2013 10:43 PM, Arthur Schiwon wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 07:22:48 PM Tornóci László wrote:
>> it occurred to me, that you could use in the advanced LDAP settings (OC
>> 4.5) the "User Home Folder Naming Rule" to partition users into several
>> different directories rather then to put all of them into the default
>> "data/".
>> Setting the LDAP "User Home Folder Naming Rule" = myHomeAttr
>> and giving each user a value like "dir1/dir2/username" for this
>> attribute seems to work (of course you must set up your LDAP to have
>> this attribute).
>>
>> Is this allowed to do? It looks like a nice feature if you have lots of
>> users.
>
> Yes!
> Just make sure, the permissions are correct, i.e. the webserver user must be
> able to read and write.

Thank you for your response. This is very nice. I tested a bit, and
noted, that "files_external" and "files_version" are created in BOTH
"data/USERNAME" and in the directory given by LDAP attribute for home
dir, however the directories in "data/USERNAME" never seem to be used.
Is it correct to say that this is a bug in 4.5 that is harmless? So is
it ok to go ahead and use this advanced feature in LDAP?

Related to this: can you later on relocate the user home dir in the
filesystem and change the value of the LDAP attribute accordingly
without OC complaining? That would be VERY nice even if you are not
allowed to change the username!

One more thing: it is rather awkward that you are not allowed to have
accented characters in user and group names. Are there any plans in the
future to introduce additional LDAP attributes for user and group names
with accented chars that are only _displayed_ for the users?

						Yours: Laszlo