[Owncloud] Migrating 3rd party apps into ownclouds github, repository

Amgine amgine at wikimedians.ca
Thu Feb 28 16:36:54 UTC 2013

(top-posting due to length of quote)

Dispersing 3rd-party apps is an anti-pattern for supporting future forks
of them, and causes a increase in content maintenance cost.

If you maintain a dump for community apps, listing them is automatable,
and the cost to document them, etc., is downloaded to the
community/their developers (and the expectation is many third-party apps
will not be maintained.)

If you do not, you will be expected to maintain links and minimal
documentation/teasers to third party apps which will, generally, be
stale/broken because you don't have the motivation to maintain them.

Such a decision is a hurdle to users and developers who must locate the
3rd party apps they wish to use/fork, and makes your site look like a
cobweb.

Amgine