[Owncloud] Migrating 3rd party apps into ownclouds github repository

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Thu Feb 28 13:59:42 UTC 2013

We had some discussion about a similar question at the developer meeting.
This is only my personal opinion: Especially apps which are planned to not
longer be maintained should not just be dumped in the owncloud/apps repo.
No one will just pick them up or fix errors. If they are important to
someone then they will go to your Github account, fork them and work on
that.

We shouldn’t use the owncloud/apps repo as a dump for community apps,
actually every app should have their own repository. It’s a big mess to
have multiple apps in one repo, issue tracker etc. where all the commits
are mixed. Working via pull requests to manage contributions is much better
than cleaning up possible mess afterwards. Everyone can easily use their
own Github account or whatever development platform of choice and put the
apps up at apps.owncloud.com

So as an answer, just put the apps in separate repos on your own Github
account. Then put the address in the description of the app with a note
that you won’t maintain them any longer and if anyone wants to pick them up
they can fork your repo.