[Owncloud] owncloud alpha 1 and LDAP entryUUID

Andreas Ergenzinger Andreas.Ergenzinger at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Feb 19 15:38:42 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 15:09 CET, Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.com> wrote:
> An admin can disable the option for users to change the display name. I depends on the user scenario if this is useful and save or not. In case you use a directory like LDAP then we rely on a properly configured useraccounts in it including unique and understandable display names.
>
> The scenario of different LDAP servers is interesting but I'm not sure if it is in the scope of ownCloud to resolve naming collisions in his case. This can and should be solved in the LDAP configuration.
>
> Frank

I completely agree with you there. In such an environment naming collisions can only be prevented by a prudent configuration. However, I still don't see the point of non-unique display names. Due to the potential for confusion, we need a different way to distinguish users on the screen. Unfortunately the only standardized option available at the moment is the login name which may be "pop55307", "d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e", or something equally opaque. I think we need a better alternative and requiring display names to be unique is the most simple solution I can think of.

Andreas