[Owncloud] owncloud alpha 1 and LDAP entryUUID

Arthur Schiwon blizzz at owncloud.com
Tue Feb 19 11:36:19 UTC 2013

On 02/19/2013 09:19 AM, Dirk Kastens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the LDAP backend is now using the entyUUID attribute to store users.

(tech detail: the uuid attribute will be autodetected, e.g. AD uses a
different one)

> don't know if this is such a good idea. Now, if you share a file, the
> entryUUID is displayed instead of the uid (see attached picture).

I believe it has already been fixed in master with
https://github.com/owncloud/core/commit/bef48bad8b83b2826d6eb3397e3f22e8d20ba5f3

>  And in
> the user list of the admin interface you see the entryUUIDs as the
> loginnames.

The label is ambiguous. The ownCloud user management uses the internal
username as login name. For LDAP users the internal ownCloud name will
be shown. Also, LDAP users do not have a unique or permanent login name,
depending on the configuration (e.g. login via username and email adress).

Worth a bug report.

>  I configure CN as the display name attribute. But display
> names are not unique. So it's not possible to find the right user.

It's true that display names are not unique. But would it help to number
them? You would end up with
John Doe
John Doe (2)
John Doe (3)

→ i see the problem, but forcing unqiueness for display names does not
look like a solution for me

A way would be to add an (optional) second attribute that may be
displayed in brackets, e.g. displayName + mail
John Doe (john at doe.net)
John Doe (john.doe at example.biz)

I am open for ideas and suggestions on this.

Helpful to have this as a bug report, too.

Thanks for pointing at it!

Cheers
Arthur