[Owncloud] default reply to owncloud at kde.org header

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Feb 18 15:51:38 UTC 2013

Diederik de Haas <didi.debian at cknow.org>
> Even though my mail client supports reply-to-list perfectly, I (too) think it's
> a good suggestion.
> What is the downside of setting this header?

It punishes people who have fully-working email software.  Consider
the potential damage in the intended use cases:

With Reply-To overwritten:

A1. if Reply-To set and the mail client supports List-Post =>
list-reply command works but the direct-reply command is broken and
does the same as list-reply, no way to recover an off-list reply
command except manual editing, so some private messages will become
public.

A2. if Reply-To set and the mail client ignores List-Post => reply
goes to list, no way to recover off-list reply command except manual
editing, so some private messages will become public.

Leaving Reply-To alone:

B1. if the mail client supports List-Post => list-reply command
works, reply command works fully.  No problems.

B2. if the mail client ignores List-Post => reply goes direct, user of
incomplete client has to use Reply-All or edit the recipients, but
some list messages will go privately.

What's the bigger danger? Private messages being published (maybe
embarrasing or worse), or people who use buggy mail clients having to
resend a few accidentally-unpublished messages?

And why should users of list-RFC-supporting clients be punished by their
private messages going public if they overlook the overwriting, just
so users of worse clients don't risk public messages going private?
Shouldn't we reward people who use standards-supporting software?

If a mail client doesn't support List-Post properly, report the bug -
and fix it if you can (it's free and open source software, right?)

Hope that informs,