[Owncloud] Problem with conflicts

Jonathan Gazeley Jonathan.Gazeley at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 11:34:48 UTC 2013

I want to use ownCloud to sync files between one server and two
computers, for the purposes of two-way sync and keeping separate copies
of data.

However, I'm having problems with conflicts. For instance, if I add a
folder of 100 photos to my PC at home, and come back the next day, the
folder is full of multiple copies of the same file, all named "conflict"
and with a timestamp, like this:

IMG_9411.JPG
IMG_9422_conflict-20130203-080427.JPG
IMG_9422_conflict-20130203-123425.JPG
IMG_9422_conflict-20130203-233704.JPG
IMG_9422.JPG
IMG_9423_conflict-20130203-080406.JPG
IMG_9423_conflict-20130203-123350.JPG
IMG_9423_conflict-20130203-233644.JPG

Thing is, there are no "conflicts". I just add the photos on the first
computer, and wait for the sync to run. I don't add the photos directly
on the ownCloud server or on the second computer. Can someone explain
how these conflicts occur, and how I can prevent them from occurring?
Most files on my PC now have several copies and they are taking up lots
of space. It's an effort to go through and remove the conflicts from the
server and both PCs to prevent them from returning.

Cheers,
Jonathan