[Owncloud] OC version detection on the client side

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Sun Feb 10 08:57:39 UTC 2013

Hi all,
whilst trying to port my apps to OC-5 I wonder if there is any easy and
reliable way to detect the running OC version on the client side. So inside js
code. This is required to adapt the behaviour according to differences between
the OC versions.
Especially I think such information should be available without additional
ajax requests. That is a question of performance. Without such information
coders tend to evaluate arbitrary "signs" indicating facts like a version.
That is a bad thing, since it is error prone and everyone implements a
different approach. Why not include such basic information once and for all?
It would come practically without performance penalty:

I suggest to add a few basic settings to be stored inside the DOM tree for
easy evaluation. Maybe as data attributes to the html node. I for example like
to add classes to that node indicating global modes of an application.

Christian Reiner (arkascha)