[Owncloud] Hate to say it but . . .

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Fri Apr 26 19:35:12 UTC 2013

On 26.04.2013 21:12, Holger Angenent wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I faced the problems concerning the conflict files myself, but could
> finally solve the problem at least in my installation.
> When I upgraded from OC 4.5.x to 5.0.0, I deleted my local synced
> directory and let it resync by the client. I think what happened was a
> regeneration of the hidden file .csync_journal.db. Since then, no more
> conflict files appear in my installation. Other users of the same
> installation observed the same.
> Did anyone of you tried to do the same? Had this an effect on the problem?

The server update to 5.0.0 unfortunately lost the uniq IDs of the files
on server side, what resulted in having all files suddenly in a "oh,
this has changed" state - for _all_ files.

What the client does in that case is to check if the file has still the
same mtime local and remote. If it has, the files are considered the
same. If not, a conflict file is generated. Unfortunately, two computers
often have a time offset between each other. That is still not much of a
problem, BUT if that time difference is not constant over time, it
becomes more likely that wrong conflicts are generated. So a good hint
is to keep times of all involved machines accurate by using ntp.

 From client 1.2.4 on, after having downloaded a potential conflict
file, there is a byte by byte comparison to the original file to check
if they are equal byte wise. If so, no conflict is created. That does
not work for the server side tough.

People keep on asking why we don't use hash values over file contents to
compare. Yes, we could do that. But ownCloud is a very open system that
integrates other technologies, and because of that Frank decided against
that. We would have a hard time to calculate MD5 sums of files which are
mounted into ownCloud from lets say Samba or Dropbox systems. That must
not be forgotten.

We will investigate further on that problem, and I am sure we will be
able to solve it. We understand how annoying and hard to accept this
problem is. Needless to say how important your help is with that.

regards,

Klaas