[Owncloud] quality control / user forums

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Tue Apr 16 17:16:46 UTC 2013

We are about to improve the testing process so more people can participate
in that and help us make ownCloud better in the alpha and beta phases. We
always have a call for testing before but it’s difficult to get people to
actually participate, so we need to make that easier.

Please keep in mind that we have to make ownCloud work with many different
setups. We are not a hosted service where we control the server and the
configuration. Honestly, lots of the issues are very specific and can be
solved either by having someone on the forum look at it or by using a more
common setup (basic LAMP stack for instance).
If we as devs would be on the forum and answer support requests all the
time which oftentimes pertain to very specific setups, we wouldn’t have
time developing ownCloud further.

As said before, we get tons of positive feedback as well, and that
everything works without problems. Of course when people have problems then
it’s voiced very prominently. Next step is to head on over to
http://github.com/owncloud/core/issues, file an informative report and help
us fix it.

And about the hostility: We have a code of conduct
http://owncloud.org/about/community-code-of-conduct/
It should be self-evident that we all need to communicate like we want to
be communicated with. I know this is difficult online more than when you
talk to a person in private. But come on – if you only have an angry and
probably hurting answer, then better not say anything.

​